A Brief History of The Regiment
A Royal Regiment of Foot Guards was raised at Bruges in 1656 by King Charles II
whilst he was exiled in Belgium.
Lord Wentworth and about four hundred loyal Englishmen
exiled themselves to serve the King.
For three years they saw considerable fighting in Belgium, France and Spain, often poorly fed
ill-quartered and without pay, but their loyalty never wavered.
The King being restored to the throne on 5th May 1660, returned to England, leaving the Royal Regiment overseas.
Later, he ordered Colonel Russell to raise a further Royal Regiment for his protection
In 1662, on the sale of Dunkirk, Lord Wentworth with his Royal Regiment of Guards was t were the two Regiments brought home, and in 1665 the two Regiments were amalgamated.
At this time there were two Colonels of the Regiment; Lord Wentworth appointed 26th Aug 1660 and Colonel John Russell appointed 23rd November 1660.
Lord Wentworth died in 1665 and the King then amalgamated both Regiments into one Regiment of 24 Companies with Company Colours under Colonel Russell.
King Charles definitely laid down that the Royal Regiment of Guards should take precedence over all others; The General's Regiment or Coldstream Guards taking next place
In the July of 1815, when, due to the Regiment's actions at Waterloo
the title was changed to:
The First or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards
The Bearskin Cap was issued
Our Association came into being in 1919 as
"The First or Grenadier Guards Comrades Association"
Branches at Bristol, Cardiff, Derby, Manchester, Nottingham and Reading
were the first to be formed in the following years.
Bristol held its inaugural meeting at the Royal Oak Hotel, Bristol
on 21st June 1919 when about 40 Grenadiers were present.
On 22nd November 1918 the title "Guardsman" was introduced in recognition of the services of Privates of the Brigade of Guards in the 1914-1918 War.
Our Association changed its name at the 1967 AGM
held in Chelsea Barracks
"Grenadier Guards Association"
Go Here to view the correspondence
between RHQ and Her Majesty
Our Association has branches in Australia, North America and the Middle East and included in 44 branches membership totals some 12,000 members
The Regiment, now part of the Household Division was formerly the Brigade of Guards and then The Guards Division
We have taken an active part in many actions including both World Wars
and continuing to do so in other operations throughout the world.
The Regimental Band
An olde history taken from a post card
Grenadier Guards Association History
This space is devoted to recording the history of the Grenadier Guards Association or Old Comrades Association as it was known.
The detail will be added to as and when it is discovered
via copying of reports and other items from the various magazines which can be viewed here
The first Branches of the Association were first formed c.1918 and Bristol Branch in 1919.
In 1929, there were eight branches recorded in the Household Brigade Magazine of Winter 1929-30.
However, Bristol was not included for whatever reason?
Click on the Victoria Cross to view the Regiment's Battle Honours
and Victory Cross Holders
Waterloo 200 re-enactments de-briefing
Click the Image
Page last updated: 10/05/2016